Widespread power outages following night of high winds, rain in Willamette Valley
Electricity providers reported widespread outages across the Willamette Valley Wednesday morning after a long stretch of high winds and rain in western Oregon.
Salem has recorded 2.25 inches of precipitation and saw wind gusts as high as 44mph since the weather system arrived Monday evening.
Portland General Electric reported over 8,100 customers in Marion and Polk Counties were without power while Pacific Power reported over 4,400 customers in Linn, Marion and Polk Counties were experiencing an outage as of 7 a.m. Wednesday.
Given reasons for the outages included equipment failure and vegetation on power lines. Estimated time for restoration of service is ranging from Wednesday morning to late evening.
High winds also left downed trees and debris across valley roads along with high water in spots. Officials cautioned drivers to allow for extra time for their morning commute if venturing out.
The Oregon Department of Transportation reported the following road hazards Wednesday morning:
• At milepost 21, four miles west of Salem, high water has been reported
• At milepost 9, northwest of Dallas, high water has been reported
• Downed powerlines two miles north of Silverton near milepost 27
• At milepost 48, between Silverton and Mount Angel, downed powerlines have closed the highway. Detours in place: Northbound traffic to use Hobart Rd to Mt. Angel Hwy NE to Mt. Angel. Southbound from Mt. Angel to use Hobart Rd to Hwy 214.
• At milepost 22, three miles south of Silver Falls State Park, downed power lines reported
• At milepost 16.5, four miles north of west Salem, high water reported in southbound lanes
• At milepost 12, nine miles north of west Salem, highway is closed
The following school districts reported closures due to power outages:
Gervais Sch. Dist.: Closed due to power outage. Live online learning, meal service, preschool and daycare are canceled.
Need to report an outage or weather hazard?
• Pacific Power: On the web at PacificPower.net/outage, text OUT to 722797 or call 1-877-508-5088.
• Portland General Electric: On the web at PortlandGeneral.com/outages or call 503-464-7777
• Salem Electric: On the web at SalemElectric.com or call 503-362-3601.
• Polk County: Public Works can be reached at 503-623-9287.
• Salem: Report issues by calling the Public Works Dispatch center at 503‑588‑6311.
• Oregon Department of Transportation: To report immediate road hazards, call 503-362-0457 in northwest Oregon or 503-283-5859 in the Portland Metro area